Thursday, June 7, 2012

8w1d

after feeling completely abandoned by the lack of continuation of care in the medical community (no hard feelings towards my RE, they did their job, very well) i contacted my uncle's niece, who is a CDE, certified diabetic/diabetes educator, at a hospital not much farther from here than the one i really wanted to be delivering at. truth be told, i really wanted to deliver at LIJ because they just renovated the women's wing, and its like a fucking hotel. you get a private room and its super fancy schmancy. every medical person i have spoken to though, has recommended Winthrop's OB dept over LIJ's. given that information, and after weighing what really matters, i figure that i need to be cared for well throughout my entire pregnancy more than i need to be staying in a very fancy room.

so after contacting my family member via email and expressing my frustration, she jumped on board the get-Amy-seen-ASAP train. she has been so supportive and reassuring and has reviewed every little detail with me as she is working on setting up an appt for me in the next few days/week. one thing that i seem to find interesting is that when i was going to North Shore Diabetes in Pregnancy Center, originally (a year ago) they told me that once i was pregnant i would be set up with one of their doctors and i was under the impression that those drs are the drs to do the deliveries. when i went back to get clearance again before my ivf, they informed me that they no longer do deliveries. after speaking with (cousin?) Sharon, she said that apparently this is a common thing recently. the rising costs of malpractice insurance have led to this type of change. apparently, the statute of limitations for a malpractice suit in a birthing situation is 18 years. due to this, high risk ob's are generally not doing the deliveries of their patients anymore. a "hospitalist", whom i assume is an on call doctor with a great deal of experience in birthing babies, will be the one to assist the mother in birthing the baby. does this sound crazy to anyone else? you spend your whole pregnancy working with a particular doctor/set of doctors, and then you get a random personon baby's birth day?? i just hope the person isn't a stranger, like i hope that i will have met them at some point in the next 7ish months. it really boggles my mind, but whatever. truly i dont care who delivers this baby (God willing) as long as baby and I come out the other side of this safe and healthy.  she was able to recommend a female practitioner who comes highly recommended and i think im waiting to hear back on when i can have an appt with her.

i've had it with north shore's bs and run around crap. im ready for a change. Sharon said that once i get started i will have "appointments quite frequently". this is completely fine with me. i think that i rather be monitored closely as that is what i've become accustomed to after going through all of this fertility stuff. i hope i can get in there and get started soon.

my symptoms have been more abundant lately. nausea has come on pretty strongly, but i haven't puked yet. im not sure if i hope i do or not. i find that im most nauseous when im just sitting around doing nothing. i do find myself snacking more to try to cope with the nausea. im fatigued a bunch, and i DO NOT want to get up in the morning. ive continued to have some spotting every few days, but im reminding myself that as long as its not accompanied by "constant painful cramping" that everything is probably fine. ive been feeling less bloated lately which is strange, but i do feel like my belly is starting to change a little, and by little, i mean ever so slightly. anyone hoping for belly pictures, sorry, they wont be around for quite some time. im a pretty chunky monkey so until i feel like a picture of my belly will show you proof of a baby being in there, and not just of past beer consumption, there will not be any. im such a fan of other people's bellies. i love the pics and watching babies and bellies grow!

im glad its thursday already, i mean i felt every day of this week, but it seems to have gone faster than i expected. i have to get the oil in my "new" car from my dad changed. it seems my dad really kept up with the appearance of the car, but was a little lax with the mechanical maintenance. it "growls" when you turn it on after resting for a few hours, we looked into it online, seems to be a model wide glitch. the prob is located in the engine, and a fix seems pretty pricey, but i think we're going to take it in (at some point). i would like to drive that car for the next 20 years, its a honda it certainly has the potential, so we'd like to take the best care of it possible.

overall im feeling good and very comforted when im experiencing symptoms. i've got 4ish weeks left in this first trimester so hit me with your best shot prego hormones! show me that this little blueberry is doing what s/he should!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is coming along well. Grow, baby, grow! Best of luck in the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So frustrating. Hang in there. As you know, I'm painfully aware of how you feel about support. Glad you're feeling good though. I still have no symptoms :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. having no symptoms might be the most awesome thing ever in the long run. maybe the only symptom you'll get is a big baby belly :o) you hang in there too lady!

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way as you about the baby bump pics. If I ever get pregnant there will be no photos till at least 18 weeks ... Cos I think it'll take that long to be able to differentiate any bump from the bulge of my current belly Lol. And I'm glad your family member has contacts and can help you get linked in with right people now. It's crazy that you need to know someone just to navigate your way into the system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its the craziest thing. when i was pretty young, like 12 or 13, one of my mom's best friends told me "its not what you know, its Who you know" and in my youth i was like, yea right. fast fwd 10-15 years, i'm kind of seeing that its more and more true all the time.

      Delete