Thursday, May 12, 2011

1 Month in with the CGM

So I'm pretty sure that I've had the CGM up and running for 4 or 5 weeks at this point. I've really done a lot of learning and a lot of tweaking to my pump settings, and for the most part I've seen some really good improvement (on some days). I still have the bad days where it seems like I'm high for no reason, but thats usually because there is an issue with my Omnipod Insulin Pump (my pod). Like yesterday for instance, I knew I had eaten a lot of carbs, but I had also done enough insulin to correct myself a couple of hours after I had eaten and I just stayed high. Even when I was at work, and had pumped myself full of insulin before I left to go to work AND corrected even more before I left to go home for dinner, I remained high once I got home, and for the rest of the night. When I went to change my pod it seemed as if there had been some kind of blockage in the cannula, but not a complete blockage, which is why my pump did not alert me of the problem. Changed the pod before bed, and woke up in significantly better range. Not where I prefer to be first thing in the morning, but below where I had been.

One thing that I have learned helps to keep me from spiking is doing my bolus a good 15-20 minutes prior to eating. Now I know that a lot of people know that already, but (a) its hard to schedule yourself like that (b) when I want to eat, I want to eat (c) if you have no idea what you're about to cook, that only takes 20 minutes to prepare, its hard to estimate how many carbs you'll be consuming. But long story short is when I make an effort to bolus prior to eating, I'm much happier with the curve my sugar goes on. It's much less severe.

The last couple of days have been pretty good (other than yesterday). I've been able to keep my numbers between the two dotted lines that is my goal range, and it was lovely to go on a brief hiatus from the beeping and buzzing my cgm does when I'm too high or too low. It also helps my mood significantly, and I find that I'm generally much happier when I see that I'm in really good control. It's a good, healthy, happy feeling. I'm really hoping that I can keep up the good work and really get my A1C down before my next endocrinologist appointment. That would be so lovely. Keep your fingers crossed for me... thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment