Friday, March 30, 2012

post-op with high hopes

i had my surgery this past wednesday and according to my re, everything went great. i had the following done, a hysteroscopy with resectoscope, d&c, and polypectomy. all of the nurses i dealt with were supremely nice and wonderful. the worst part of everything was the post op nausea. apparently im super sensitive to the anesthesia, and the next time i go in for a surgery im supposed to tell them i have "severe post op nausea". they tried to see if i would just recoop over time, but an hour later they could still see me struggling with the "omg-i-think-im-gonna-puke"s just by my face and they gave me some meds. they told me it would make me sleepy, and it did just that. i think i snoozed out for about 30 minutes, and when i woke up i felt like myself again. i couldn't believe it. i asked what she had given, and she called it "drope" shes like you wont remember the whole name (she was right, she told me and i have no idea what it was) so she said to stick with that any time i go in for surgery. mir-a-cle drug. yesterday the sorest part of me was my throat honestly. just a little discomfort in the nether region, and some slight spotting that i've been told is to be expected.

so i talked about the worst part, im trying to think if there was a best part of the surgery stuff. oh! lol, the best part. during my presurgical testing they ask about substance use. im always very honest but this nurse who examined me was clearly new-ish, and wanted to be very thorough. i admitted to occasionally hanging out with mary jane, i probably told them 3-4 times a year. its probably slightly higher than that but def not more than 10x a year anymore. so the presurgical testing nurse must have recorded it (the nurse who did my presurgical testing for my first surgery in september who was clearly experienced/sesasoned, paid absolutely no attn to it other than to tell me not to smoke for the week leading up to surgery) in my file. so when the nurse was checking me in on wednesday, she asked about my use of "street drugs". i was confused at first but then i remembered, and responded by telling her that i hadn't since my birthday. she repeated the date that the very thorough nurse had recorded and i confirmed. my wife was half furious at me for sharing with the presurgical testing nurse, and half completely humiliated to be near me during such a conversation. so i laughed for the rest of my 2 hour wait before i was taken in to the operating room, lovedove did not laugh as much as i did, but it certainly kept me in the best mood ever. it was completely hysterical, to me at least.

but i guess the real best part is that my recovery time was like non existent. as soon as the nausea was gone i felt fine. i went to work the next day, granted i work afternoon/evenings and i sit in a chair and listen to people, but i was fine to do that. so happy about that.

most awkward part? um, i guess signing the waiver my doctor asked me to sign, saying that another person would be present during my surgery. one of the reps for one of the machines/tools my doctor was going to use would be present, but he wanted me to sign it, and what did i care, i was going to be knocked out. just another person to get a glimpse of my vagina. great. whatever. my wife was right about not caring about having people see every part of your entire body by the time your pregnancy is over. i'm not even pregnant yet and im almost over it.

the doctor said that everything went well and we are good to go for my next cycle. im starting to feel kind of excited because although i have been working on my to-do list since late january, we havent been close to doing anything productive in months. im afraid im getting too excited though because i feel like now they've looked at my reproductive parts from every angle, and seem to have cleared up everything. im feeling like now that this second procedure is done, i might have been able to get pregnant with just another (couple of) iui(s). luckily for us, we get to skip that and jump to ivf. i have my meds, im working on getting that final vial of "back up sperm" and i should be able to start my meds in just a few weeks. im aware that my excitement will vary depending on how well my body responds to meds, how the egg retrieval goes, and so on and so forth, but im just feeling so hopeful again. its been a long time (for me) since ive felt that way and im thankful to be in such good spirits.

im looking forward to a wonderful weekend with family and friends, and i think im about to try to take a nap. sofia is asleep and im jumping on this opportunity. if only i could lay in her crib with her <3

6 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you're doing ok! I hope everything is good to go and that good things start happening.

    Just don't have an orgasm for a while, in case they didn't tell you that. I made that mistake once after an egg donation and it hurts, and not in a good way. I'm thinking the same rule applies after a procedure like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh geez! thanks for the heads up, but luckily no probs to report, thank goodness

      Delete
  2. Glad to read everything went well. I'm hoping for good news from here on out! (and hoping to follow in your footsteps shortly: post-surgery, good report/recovery, on the way to IVF).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, hopefully ill be able to set a good example and leave some good footprints behind. :o)

      Delete
  3. So glad to finally read this! (life has been soo busy!) I'm about to publish a BFN report, so I guess I'm on my way to surgery too...good to hear it was bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to hear about the bfn, the surgery was really a breeze. i was even able to play in my weekly basketball game just 3 days after. hopefully your situation will be just as speedy :o)

      Delete